Dr. Chinese Guy received his PhD in astronomy in 2005. He was the student of the mission scientist, Dr. American Lady, that I am currently collaborating with. I received my PhD in computer science in 2007 from the same school he is a researcher at now. There is a new task requiring some computational algorithms that he needs support with. So, our Dr. American Lady naturally thought I could help. In his introductory email to the rest of the team, he says Dr. American Lady and "her student" (referring to me), will work on such and such. An innocent mistake, while making a wrong assumption. After 10 years of experience and more than 4 years of having a PhD, he automatically assumes I am a student. Why? I do not know. We let it go.
We have a first face-to-face meeting. Dr. American Lady introduces me, and asks me to refresh her memory how many years I have been working at the center. I have a feeling she wants to clear the confusion and I was thankful for that. I tell them 10 years! Even she was surprised. She was assuming maybe 5 years. I thought good! Done; moving on.
Today, Dr. Chinese Guy sends an email to west coast collaborators asking for data sets. He again says Dr. American Lady and her student will do such and such!! Dr. American Lady replies all, mentioning my degree and years of experience.
Would any guy experience this with a PhD and 10 years of experience, and if so, will they let it go so kindly? Or is it the case that everyone around those guys has to walk on their tip-toes, making sure they do not forget their "Dr. " titles, and yes sirs?!
Monday, November 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment