I love this holiday, all its beautiful fall colors, and looking for excuses to be thankful for. Every year I pause and think of what blessings I am grateful for. Always, top on my list is just the fact that I am alive, and that I survived so many things. Mostly, I evaluate my relationships. Every year there are some new ones that have formed, and some that have faded away over time. This past year have been wonderful. I have strengthen my past relationships with close friends and I have formed some wonderful new bonds. I have been blessed for getting to know Dr. Amercian Lady, the mission scientist I have been working with for the past few months. A wonderful lady full of curiosity, questions, passion, energy. One who has retired as a professor and has joined our center so that she does not get bored and keep working on her research. God, I think she works more than me at her retirement! She searches for stories of the birth and evolution of our solar system, be it by looking at Vesta or by going to and living in Antarctica and Sudan to find geological evidence and parts of asteroids that had hit Earth billions of years ago. And she did! She found meteorological parts of new kinds too, a new discovery. She did not give up her life either. She has two grown successful kids and a loving husband. Just looking at her, laughing hard at meetings, the joy and love she spreads, every minute being close to her, makes me be thankful for being in the same room. For whatever chain of events that made this possible.
Then, there is one of my old professors. From the first day I entered her office after I had received my admission to grad school to ask for some advice, on a rainy nasty day that I got lost in A. V. Williams and was late to her meeting, to all the years of my studies and her having served on my committee, and now being my best collaborator, mentor, and teacher as always. She seems tough and serious to most. To me she is a treasure with the warmest kindest heart. Seeing how hard it is to form new collaborations, even when formal official proposals and letters of commitments are written, and the work never happens, I am so grateful for her still editing my writings, giving me advice, and always being there for me, even though she does not have to.
Finally, there is a newly formed relationship that is growing. I do not know what it will become or will be, but like a newly blossomed flower in Spring, it is beautiful. Of course, I am also thankful for Turkey on Turkey day! :-)
Thursday, November 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment