After few days of being in the holiday mode with friends and family all the time, I just got a chance to check my home phone messages. There was one from a young lady assuming to reach an institution. She left her name, number saying she was calling with regard to receiving some information for elderly care. It was a wrong number of course. She had mentioned she had called before and no one followed up. Thinking that she has an old person to take care of and is desperate, I wanted to call her back letting her know she had the wrong number. The interesting part was that the first 7 out of 10 digits that she had left matched my own number. So I assumed she by habit must have dialed the same state and local codes, or maybe the lines in the neighborhood crossed like old times; who knows?
I dialed the number she had left. An old man picks up. "May I talk to Ms. Sandra?", I ask. "Who?" he asks back firmly. "Sandra!", I try again. "No, you have the wrong number", he responds. "Oh, ..ok", I was kind of disappointed and getting ready to hang up. "Sandra?! you want to talk to Sandra?" all of a sudden he said quickly. "Yes, yes", "you want her VA number, she is not here." he said. "May I have that number please?". I can give you her last name and you can ask the operator. "Oh, ok thanks". I wrote the last name.
I could not locate her in the white pages. There is an old man alone in one of the units in my neighborhood. A man whose daughter or granddaughter visited him sometime this holiday, just to find him in desperate need of some elderly care that she cannot provide. She tried to do something and dialed a wrong number, and she left the number of where the old man lives not her own number. He is all alone and it takes him a while to remember who Sandra is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment