The popular topic of judgment is often discussed in different blogs. How we humans tend to judge too quickly, with wrong assumptions, and arrive at wrong conclusions. That is true too often, but I believe it is inevitable: we see, hear, sense, smell, read,......... and in one word receive so many signals from too many different sources at once. And what does our brain immediately do with any signal it receives? It processes it, analyzes it, comprehends it, and forms an opinion about it. The truth is everyone thinks something of what you say and do or do not say and do not do. There is no way to get around that unless their brain shuts down or we get full control of their brains. So, when someone thinks out loud and tells you about so many thoughts and questions that comes to their mind, they are giving you a chance to provide them more data and information, to correct their wrong assumptions, to maybe reach at a more accurate conclusion. By knowing what they think, what doubts and questions they have, and even what conclusions they have already reached, a dialogue about that topic is opened. A chance to discuss the topic is created. Your chance to correct a wrong assumption, to correct a wrong judgment is granted. Had they been silent and continued to judge you incorrectly silently by themselves without you having any clue about what they think about something, you probably would not have thought of providing more information about that topic.
So, I suggest instead of accusing someone "you are too quick to judge", "do not judge".... as if they have committed murder, think and ask about what pieces of information they are basing their judgment on. "What makes you think this way?", "you think so? how come?". Then, see what pieces of the puzzle they are missing. Provide that. Enlighten them. Open horizons. Of course, being aware of the fact that judgment in inevitable, we (ok me, myself, and I) can practice asking questions, asking for more information in proper respectful manner before reaching a conclusion. I have to practice that a lot, but I do not like being attacked just for asking questions, for asking for more information, for disclosing what is in my mind and letting you into my brain. I really do not have to let anyone into my brain to see what I think. Do I? Or maybe when people ask us not to judge or not to form an opinion about something, what they are really saying is I do not really want to know what you think about it or you do not really have to share what you think about someone or something. That, I can understand; Expecting brains not to function, I cannot.
p.s. Sologen had a related post in Farsi. I admit it is a little hard for me to follow, but I think I agree with the overall argument :-)
Saturday, July 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment