Sunday, December 19, 2010

Jeans Dilemma!

When sorting through cloths in an attempt to organize, simplify, and maybe donate some, one is often faced with a tough decision: to keep or not to keep a pair of old Jeans that do not fit anymore. A person often goes through one of the following thought and decision-making processes:

a) It is small for me now, but I am going to fit in it again one day. If I throw it away, I have given up any hope of that. So, I hold on to the small Jeans.

b) It is big for me now, I cannot believe I ever wore this. I have to throw it away to never even have the option of wearing it again.

We make so many other decisions in life, the same way we approach the Jeans dilemma, while the only truth we are certain of is that It just does not fit now!

6 comments:

Daisy said...

Opening our eyes and accepting the reality, I agree.. but what about the sweet feeling of hoping that one day the small Genes will fit.

Nargess said...

I did not mean to indicate any of those decisions are right or wrong, just making an observation that we do make such choices. In both cases, we just know that it does not fit now. It may or may not fit again, but we try to work towards one option and make it more probable based on our desires and hopes.

radius said...

Dear Nargess, while using the free good-Friday to surf through some blogs that I found listed on friends web-sites, I also came across this post of yours from more than 2 years ago. I got a bit confused here, since I know that people in Genetics always like the jokes about mixing GENES and JEANS. Whatever you were intending to discuss in your post here, let me advise you the following:

1) JEANS: In case you think they don't fit anymore, don't throw them away, but keep them for your kids or grandchildren. Worn jeans can become collectors items, or a special brand suddenly becomes very fashioned again in 10 or 20 years from now. As a teenager, I once discovered an old suitcase with dads clothes, stuff that he had put aside already 20 years ago. In my eyes, they represented the "coolest" outfit for school: a heavy old leather jacket my dad used to wear as a farmer, a black cardigan wool suit, that made me look like Groucho Marx, and plain cotton shirts that were 4 sizes too large and which were blown around me like a parachute. So please, don't throw away the worn jeans.

2) GENES: Your genes never become to small. Entire chromosomes, indeed get a bit shorter during life, and this ("telomeric erosion") is believed to cause aging and the increase of certain diseases with age. Unfortunately, despite much progress in removing, exchanging, replacing genes from single cells in our organisms, nobody has ever found a way to do this for the whole body. And entire chromosomes, which got shorter, are virtually not exchangeable at all. Its a pitty, indeed, since this would give us a tool to achieve eternal life. It is only featured in some phantasy movies.

And I guess even if one could give away its own shortened chromosomes, to receive a couple of new and long ones in exchange, people might hesitate to do so (like you had with the jeans).

bets regards
Michael

Nargess said...

Oh my God, thanks for catching my mistake. I meant Jeans!

radius said...

Who knows, maybe in 20 years from now your post about changing the old GENES for some pretty new ones appeares to have been a very early prophecy of what becomes daily routine then .-)
regards, Michael

PS: I think there is one more post on your blog, about a young lady at the airport who wears "...a colorful scarf, genes, and a nice long sleeve shirt." (22-07-2010, "You can run, but you cannot hide!"). I am relieved to see that it is not only me doing such spelling mistakes in English.

Nargess said...

Thanks I corrected the other genes to jeans :-)