Friday, December 31, 2010

Another year ...

Another year is approaching in a few hours. It was like yesterday when I was making plans for 2010. I pretty much achieved what I wished: I went to new places, enjoyed my friends' company, learned a lot, and taught a lot. I said what I meant, I was at peace with myself and hardly allowed anyone to ruin this peace. For the most part I was happy. This happiness however relied on a conscious effort to put distance between myself and those who made me sad, stressed, depressed, mad, etc. It worked to some degree.

I am at a new level now, realizing that I am sad seeing my close family members and friends in pain. I cannot just protect myself by staying away from some people. As painful as it is, maybe I have to just be in their lives when they want me to. I cannot change or influence anything unless I am involved. We cannot claim we are open minded and tolerant but not want to carry a conversation with someone because we do not like their opinion or because we do not like their approaches to things. I do not think I was performing poorly in this area, but the approach of many friends and family members around me made me realize the importance of being involved, open, and receptive to others. That is the only way I can hope for any positive change: by doing something about issues that bothers me. And that's my new year's resolution. May I not regret this!

No comments: