"I do think that part of being a leader is to understand that there is a very deliberative process on behalf of the electorate where they're giving the leadership to you. And it's a funny thing about this. They will forgive you anything, in fact, they may even forgive you a decision they profoundly disagree with, but they wouldn't forgive you for not deciding. " said Tony Blair on Farid Zakaria's GPS program of CNN.
What he said struck home for me. I feel the same way when judging people. I admire those who try achieve their goals and fail in the process, but not those who do not try. It does not matter if I do not share the same interests with them or even if I disagree with their cause. I admire those who actively practice having dialogues, information exchanges, transparency, giving and receiving constructive criticism, collaborations, by participating in public forums of different forms, real or virtual. They are active agents of a process that results in learning experiences and growth of individuals and communities. It does not matter if I do not agree with them. In fact, it is often times their courage and dedication to their beliefs that cause their disagreeing silent majority to come out of their shells and say something, or do something. The silent majority is a term that was often used during Jon Stewart Rally to Restore Sanity. I think the silent majority is somewhat responsible for all the insanity that goes on, for being by-standers that hands over all the attention and resources to those they disagree with, for not making things better, for not giving sanity and civility voice and power. I think those intellectuals in good health, with access to good resources, know better, and should do better, or at least try to do better.
I admire people who expose themselves to being criticized, judged, or even labeled by many adjectives even if I believe they are wrong. They are providing the opportunity to the other side to respond and maybe correct what is happening in many silent minds, to right some wrongs. Even more admirable are those who after years of believing in something, as a result of their learning experiences and exchange of ideas, come to the conclusion that they were wrong, and not shy away from exposing their human side; the side that is vulnerable and makes mistakes, and yet can learn from those mistakes. I find it hard to respect those who complain about things at their home, work, neighborhood, city, country, or world without doing their share of changing things for better, living a better life, making a difference, or at the very least not causing any harm.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi
Thursday, January 13, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Dear Narges,
Hi. Such a great piece of writing! Thank you thank you! I always enjoy and admire your beautiful mind and your way of thinking. Specially this post "struck home for me" :)
I wish I could know you in real world and have such a brilliant friend :)
Dear zamzam,
Thanks so much for your kind and encouraging comment. I am glad to learn about another loyal reader of my blog. Believe me, you know me more than many people who interact with me daily and do not even know about this blog and/or many of my thoughts.
Post a Comment