It is a nice picture. The two of them with me at a friend's wedding over six years ago. I had gone to their house earlier that night to share the ride with them. It was nice being dressed up and seeing them getting ready for a nice occasion as opposed to our usual simple grad student looks those days. Going to fancy formal gatherings was not as common among us back then. We were more used to socializing in coffee hours, over free pizzas, movie nights, etc. When I arrived at their place, she was coloring her nails and was already in her dress. All of a sudden she sneezed. She could not clean her nose since her nail colors were still wet and she was in her nice dress. So, she asked her husband for help. As he was putting a tissue at her nose and she was blowing her nose, I saw something so cute and funny I could not stop laughing. It was contagious and the three of us exploded with laughter. "What are you laughing at?", he asked while he could not stop laughing himself. "That how nice it is to have such a nice husband to clean one's nose whenever you need it", I hardly could mumble. "Well, I am offended. That is all I am good for?", he continued joking. After several minutes of laughing, we finally put ourselves together and headed to our destination.
Many things have changed since then. My very good friends, who I used to get so much positive energy from and who I admired a lot for their beautiful relationship, are not together anymore. They each have moved on. One of them is engaged now to a new partner. The other friend, whose wedding we attended that night, is also divorced from the guy she had married that night. She is now married to her second husband.
All these years, the picture of the three of us was in my study. All these years, whenever I looked at that picture, I would smile remembering us getting ready to go to that wedding and how much we laughed. It dawned on me, the only person who had not moved on was me. As much as I loved that picture of the three of us, I finally took it out of the frame.
Sunday, October 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I have been so busy lately that I didn't want to leave a comment here in rush but I meant to write something here because I could not stop thinking about this post since I have read it.
My my my, nothing is forever! It is as if you can't rely on anything and anyone because you never know how long things will last. This story just made me think more about my life and to not be disappointed for things I don't have. Because even if I had them, i could never knew how long I would have them for.
You are a good story teller and this was a post with an important message.
Thanks Daisy for taking the time to write.
I do not see it your way ... you have a good memory and you enjoy revisiting it, it is very healthy to keep good memories, very helpful in hard times
Of course I do not know the whole story but moving on is more applicable when memories are keeping you from staying in the present and dealing with things as they are and as they unfold
You are right, this probably was not a good choice of word for my experience. I still do enjoy revisiting good memories, and I do revisit them, I just cannot enjoy revisiting them with those who created them and that is sad. I removed the picture mostly so that when my friends visit me at my place, it does not cause any harm. Moving on for me meant accepting that things are not the same as before and that change had somehow made it to my home too.
This was really touching.
I think one difficult thing people have to do is to move on. and more difficult is when (out of two of you) one moves on and the other one hasn't yet.
Post a Comment