I email summary of an analysis to a program manager and include the details in a spreadsheet that is attached to my email. I mention in the email: please see the attachment for breakdowns of the results and analysis.
I receive a response: please prepare a spreadsheet with breakdowns, a sample is attached.
I respond: such a spreadsheet was attached to my previous email, did you see it?
She responds: if you could breakdown each component there it would be great (she is implying I did see and opened it, but it does not have the details I am looking for).
I reattach the same spreadsheet in my next email: please see the attachments. I have all sub components included and I name such subcomponents. Please let me know what I am missing. (meaning, while my persistence made you open the attachment, you yet did not read the content).
Silence. An apology would have been nice! Or even better, a few moments to pause, to read the message in its entirety, acknowledge the work that is done and received, try to understand it, question parts that are not understood, before hitting response and attacking the person for not doing their job.
As much as I try to send short emails on each topic to the point, still my message is not communicated to the other side. It is sent but not really received. We are turning into a generation with zero attention span.
Thursday, November 7, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment