Friday, September 28, 2012

Good Morning!

I was getting my morning coffee and breakfast in Brooklyn, in preparation for my long day of two back to back lectures.  The lady behind the counter tells me "Jesus loves you!", after giving me a long deep look in the eye.  I say "thank you", and thought to myself "why would not he anyways?" ;-)
She was not satisfied: "Do you know who he is?"
I told her: "Yes".  (happy now?)
She seems a bit relieved, or maybe she finally gave up: "Good! Because many people do not.  Where are you from? Russia?"
"No, Iran!", I told her (now what?).
She still continues: "You look like Russians".*
I tell her "We are close" (so what?).
Not sure if she was trying to figure something out and solve a mystery or was just interested in talking to me.
I was there just to get my breakfast before preaching some math and science, without having to tell all my life story or religious beliefs.  Is that too much to ask?


* Later that day after my talks, I went to get a cup of tea before my train left.  The guy handed me a tea cup, and asked  "ruski?" with a smile.  I guess I was Russian on that day.

1 comment:

radius said...

Thats a nice short story, indeed. Maybe you were carrying a samovar under your arm, and therefore she took you as Russian ?
best regards, Michael