Saturday, February 13, 2010

An Optimist's Story

He is tall, black, and young, with an innocent face and big nice eyes. He is very skinny. So much that whenever he runs after the carts to collect them and take them back to the store, I wonder if he has the energy to do so during cold winter or hot summer days. His body does not seem balanced. It is as if he has to drag one side of his body with the command of the other side. He seems to manage well though. Although I always return my cart from the parking lot to the entrance of the store, he often times comes to my car, and patiently waits for me to unload my groceries before taking away my cart.

Initially it made me a little uncomfortable. Should I tip him? If so, how much? But I come here at least once a week. Can I keep up with tipping him every time? Then, he may get sad if one time I do not tip him. Does he get paid hourly, or is his income based on tips like waiters and waitresses? I have to find out .... The reality was something else. He had a sense of pride in doing his job. What if he gets offended when I tip him?

Our greetings usually was in the order of "hello", "how are you", "nice weather", and "have a good day". Until one day as I was unloading my groceries, he started telling me his story. He told me how he used to be in college. He was an athlete and on some sport team. He had scholarships. "I even had a nice car", he continued. "I had a bad car accident, a very bad one. I had brain injury. Half of my body was paralyzed first, now it is better. I could not finish my degree." He kept talking as I relived my past two total loss car accidents. I thanked God I was lucky enough to not cause such harm to others. I was lucky my life did not change in a second, not once but twice. Oh, I was too damn lucky. I was having all these thoughts while looking at his eyes horrifically. "Well, it is good that ...", and I was searching for words. What is good? That he could no longer get his college degree and sports scholarships? That his life changed so drastically? "That nothing worse happened", he completed my sentence. "Yes", I nodded. I admired him for appreciating life so much instead of having a victim mentality.

He came to my car again today. "Thank you", I said as I put my last bag in the trunk. He nodded, and did not move much. "How are you?", I asked. His eyes glittered with happiness for given the opportunity to talk. "Survived the snow storm?", I continued. "Yes, it is hard in cold weather. It is better to work inside", he explained. "Yes", I agreed. "I have to improve my skills for that. I am going to go to Montgomery college. I qualified for their program", he announced. "That is great! You should do that", I said happily. "Montgomery college is a good college", I continued. "Montgomery college in Rockville", he said. "It is a good college. I went there", I smiled. "Good luck!", I said before heading to my car. "Thanks", he said as he was leaving happily.


"You do not tip your friends", I told myself.

No comments: