When she had just learned how to walk,
She would walk with her mom towards a lake close by,
To feed the ducks.
Once I took her to give her mom a break.
The ducks were taller than her.
They were so hungry and aggressive,
I was frightened they would bite off her little fingers.
She was not scared at all.
I picked her up anyways.
Once I had received some daffodils.
I wanted to teach her this is the meaning of my name.
"See this flower?
This is the meaning of my name in Farsi".
She leaned forward to smell the flowers.
Then she came towards me and smelled me.
"You do not smell the same!"
I could not stop laughing and hugging her.
She got older.
She even has an e-mail address.
She was so happy having received an e-mail from me:
"You are my best friend", she said.
I never felt better being someone's best friend.
Now she wants to go to places with me.
"When can we go to your work again?"
Natalie asked me last week.
"I am not sure honey.
Whenever we have an event,
I will let you know".
She got sad for having to wait.
"There is a lot to do!
We can visit museums.
There are plenty here".
I wanted to comfort her.
"I want to go to the aerospace museum,
Next week, with you!"
"I am out of town next week.
We can go some other time."
I said apologetically.
"You want to go to aerospace museum? I will take you.", her dad said.
I was so happy and relieved.
"No, I want to go with her", she insisted.
"Why? Go with your dad, it will be fun." I was confused.
"Because you are smarter!"
We all laughed.
I always envied her free spirit and courage.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
All children are free spirited. As we become adults we lose that spirit due to endless social rules that are imposed on us and we have to follow. That's why I like to spend some of my time with children so I can rediscover that spirit and rekindle it. You are very much lucky to have them around.
Post a Comment