Friday, February 6, 2009

The Great Wall of China: Good Times

We are on the Great Wall of China,
So far from everywhere I used to be.
The wall I used to read about in novels as a kid,
Wondering how gigantic it really was.

I am there with a great professor,
Who I respect and admire a lot.
The one who advised me for five years,
Edited my writings for misplaced or absent 'a's and 'the's, over and over.

The timing is perfect too.
I have just finished my Ph.D.
Not considering my health issues,
I am taking it all as a great turn of events.
The place, the timing, the company,
I love it all.

Every two seconds we are stopped by local sellers.
Selling scarves, books, post cards.
"Silk scarf for your daughter",
She repeats to my professor several times.

"Today, I am your daughter", I say with a smile.
"Oh, that is what she means!
How does she know? Maybe you were my wife.", he asks jokingly.
I laugh at his self-confidence!
"Well, in an academic sense you are my daughter".
He corrects himself.
"These are great times, great memories", I think to myself.

No comments: