I still had a good portion of the afternoon. So, I hit the National Gallery. I could not believe my eyes. Room after room of so many large gorgeous paintings of so many famous artists including Monet, Manet, Van Gogh, Cezanne, Degas, and Picasso. Although I had seen some of the most famous paintings on postcards or large prints of them in many places,seeing the real ones, with the signature of the artists, learning about their lives and their relationships with their families, colleagues, and friends was something else. Like the British Museum, I could spend days in this museum, looking at each painting carefully, and learning about the stories behind each one of them. One of the many paintings I liked was called Cupid Complaining to Venus by Lucas Cranach the Elder.

Cupid complains to Venus of being stung by bees when stealing a honeycomb. This is to be taken as a moral commentary; as the inscription observes: 'life's pleasure is mixed with pain.'
I like London. I am beginning to feel sorry for myself, spending so much of my life just commuting to different places in Maryland.
2 comments:
Wow, this is such a nice travel memoir with vivid images. Wish you have a great vacation and keep us updated frequently!
Cheers!
Dear Enchanted Soul, I am glad you like these posts. The nicer part for me is to actually have the time to reflect and write these down before I forget. I do intend to keep these posts coming :-)
Post a Comment